- The Sound of Sunshine-Michael Franti-Michael Franti is one of my favorite all-time artists. While his lyrics and musical style are quite simple, this song and video epitomize the sound of summer to me. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Michael Franti through work and not only is he generous and kind in his lyrics and in his personal life, but he was and is to this fan. Never have I seen 5,000 people hold hands and sing lyrics like I did at the Coachella Festival Michael Franti tent. It made me forget the 60 water bottles I had to drink on that 120 degree weather day (Ugggh!) in Palm Springs.
- Life For Rent-Dido-This album (and another song in particular on this album) symbolized a step towards my freedom about 9 years ago. This song was selected for this album because of Dido’s reference to the sea and some of my internal longings and fantasies about the living by the water well before I moved to Redondo Beach where I currently live. Her lyrics, in this song, move me and take me to a different space and place each and everytime I listen to it.
- Anytime You Need Me-Michael Franti-I had to sneak another Michael Franti song in here somewhere. This relaxed soulful melody to me is the perfect sound track while laying out in the California sun-at the beach. While the simplicity of his songs and lyrics speak to me, I value him as an artist who is representative of so many things in which I believe: freedom, positivity, living life with joy and happiness and everything that is simple and uncomplicated.
- On the Sunny Side of the Ocean-John Fahey-I chose this song because of its title. I do think John Fahey is one of the best acoustic guitarists of all time. His art is classic.
- You and Me-Dave Matthews-This song is one of my all-time favorite songs. It represents everything I like about life’s simplicities PLUS it references the ocean, with whom I have had a long-time love affair. This song represents an escapism and the romanticism I feel when I’m by the water. When I first heard DMB’s lyrics of “and when when we get to the ocean, gonna to take the boat to the end of the world,” they instantly reminded me of my mom’s favorite song of all-time called “La Barca,” which is a song that was written in the early 1920’s. “La Barca” is also featured on this CD. DMB’s song is more about escaping with a loved one. “La Barca” is about a loved one leaving on a boat as you’ll read later.
- Only The Ocean-Jack Johnson-Our household owns every recording ever done by this artist. He’s our go-to artist when we are wanting to open up the windows to let the ocean breezes in and begin to enjoy the start of warmer weather.
- Under The Sun-Mia Todd-I love this indie song. However, the lyrics of, “the cream in my coffee” bug the heck out of me. Disregard them. The rest of the song I can keep. She’s one of my most recent discoveries. I love that she sings in Spanish, Portuguese, and English on her most recent album-all languages I understand. She just now needs to add songs in French and in Italian so all of my languages are covered.
- To The Sea-Jack Johnson-His connection to the ocean rings deeply with mine. Jack always takes me to my easy breezy pace and space in which I like to remain.
- Surboard-Sergio Mendes and Will.I.Am-This song is not my favorite style of music but I do find the mixture of the king of Bossa Nova with the king of contemporary pop a bit interesting. International collaborations are always of interest to me. They add flava to the recipe.
- Rockaway Beach-The Ramones-How could I not include The Ramones in this compilation? Don’t all roads in rock end with The Ramones? The Ramones not only influenced my taste in music but they’ve also inspired one of my favorite artists of all-time, U2. U2’s song “In A Little While” which might just be my all-time favorite song was the last song heard by Joey Ramone before he died.
- Here Comes The Sun-The Beatles-I would be remiss if I didn’t add this classic song. It’s shimmery lightness is always a delight and keeps me thinking of summer-all year long.
- The House of The Rising Sun-The Animals-I just added this song to my playlist recently after I heard it played at a local bar when we were out with friends on a Saturday Night. My first thought: “Another Sound & Scent of Summer-The House of The Rising Sun!”
- Sunshine of Your Love-Cream-If you know me, you will know that I love classic everything: Classic architecture, classic rock, classic clothes, classic everything. Not being one who follows trends, this song jumped out when looking at my playlist to create this CD compilation.
- Walking on Sunshine-Katrina & The Waves-Not only did the song fit but the CD title but so did the artist name. This song while poppy makes me happy and makes me want to walk on sunshine-always.
- Soak Up The Sun-Sheryl Crow-This song has two of my favorite all-time lines in a song. These lines make me take ownership of this song. “It's not having what you want. It’s wanting what you’ve got.” and “Don't have no master suite.I'm still the king of me.” Growing up in Mexico, I didn’t grow up with as many things as kids who did grow up with in the States. I’m actually quite happy I grew up this way. I have a much more contented heart as a result of this upbringing than most Americans, learning to love what I’ve got instead of thinking about what I don’t have.
- Saturday Sun-Nick Drake-My son who is away in college on the East Coast has made me rediscover artists I loved and has made me love them ALL OVER again. His intense love and passion for all genres of music has allowed me to find “new finds” from the past. Nick Drake is one of them. I’m thankful I have reconnected with Nick. More importantly, I’m thankful that it wasn’t through Facebook!
- I Can See Clearly Now-Jimmy Cliff- Do you remember the song, “It Never Rains in Southern California?” Well, I’ve got news. It does. And it rains alot-particularly in the winter. This song is always played in our household when the sun finally comes out in the winter. Usually, it means 79 degree days in the dead of winter when the rest of the country is snowed in. This song plays to those days and my love for seeking the sun again.
- Margaritaville-Jimmy Buffet-I chose this song because of it’s reference to flip flops and what would summer be without flip flops? Additionally and more importantly, what would summer be WITHOUT margaritas? I love how the lyrics bulld from, “But I know it’s nobody’s fault” to “Hell, It could be my fault” to “And I know it’s my own damn fault.” We’ve all been there, right? Let’s just say this song is my own recovering Catholic confession. It’s ALWAYS MY FAULT!!!! :)
- Summer Lover-Mia Doi Todd-Why not? She’s my-new-favorite -find and the title fits the theme.
21. Gracias a La Vida-Mia Doi Todd- I would be remiss if I didn’t include two songs that are reflective of my upbringing. Song 21 is also by Mia Doi Todd. This, however, is a song in Spanish and it speaks to the Latina in me. The song title translated means ”Thank you to Life.” Who knew that a little girl from Mexico who told her grandmother by age 4 that she was going to live by the beach would actually get to do that? This song speaks to that 4 year-old girl who had a dream and didn’t forget it. While it took an additional 36 years to get to the beach, I finally got here and this is my hommage to that dream. I thank “life” for getting me here and for literally allowing me to live and breathe almost 12 months of the year, The Sounds & Scents of Summer. PS-That little 4-year-old didn’t get to see the beach until age 20.
22.La Barca-Luis Miguel-This song was originally written in the 1920’s and is a classic song throughout Latin America. It was revived by Luis Miguel in the 1990’s and it became a huge international hit when he recorded it. I didn’t originally know this song through Luis Miguel. I knew this song originally because it’s my mother’s favorite all-time song. I heard it played by Mariachis in my home when my dad would seranade me on my birthdays with live music. I heard it played on my mom and dad’s old victrola. The song’s lyrics are beautiful and also make an ocean reference
It is my hope that these songs share a little about me: My-not-so-cool-taste in music like many of you who have such awesome indie tastes. This playlist reflects many of the things I love: Music, the sun, the ocean, the guitar, the art of simplicity, and songs that speaks of love without saying the word “love” but instead are about the “act of devotion”-something I proudly show to my friends, family, and loved ones.
Sorry it has taken me so long to comment on Ileana's great summer compilation! Knowing her as well as I do, I expected a CD resplendent with ocean waves and summer sunshine and she didn't disappoint! There were some great old favorites along with a few tunes that were new to me. It's the perfect CD to listen to while enjoying a summer afternoon out on the deck or a drive up the coast! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteIleana, my CD wouldn't play! It has only one track on the disc and it is silent. Did anyone else have this problem? I would love a replacement or uploaded version if possible, because I was psyched upon reading the tracklist!
ReplyDeleteAngela - I was going to offer to send you mine, but I ran into the same issue. I put the CD into the player in my car and got a "no music" error. Mary mentioned something about seeing an iTunes warning saying that the files needed to be converted either to or from an "AAC" format. I have a feeling the CD might be "Mac-centric"???
ReplyDeleteokay - I got home and put the CD into my desktop's CD player. Basically the CD was never actually "burned" - it contains 21 compressed "m4a" files. It shouldn't be too difficult to copy the files to one's hard drive and then listen to them using iTunes or any other media player. In order to play it on a stereo system (car or otherwise) one would have to burn the tracks on CD using iTunes, brasero or some other utility that will convert the compressed files to "wav" files that are then written as music tracks to the CD. Did that make sense?
ReplyDeleteYep, what Paul said.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely Mac Centric. I'll check with Paul to see what it is that I have to do to resend to all. My apologies.
ReplyDeleteWell, I don't have a Mac - nor do I use iTunes, but Mary uses iTunes on her PC, so I think I know what needs to happen. If you don't already have a playlist with the 21 songs you want on the CD, create a new one with iTunes by clicking "File -> New Playlist" and then drag the music files from your Library to the new playlist. Once that's done, go to the playlist and then click "File -> Burn Playlist to Disk". This will bring up a "Burn Settings" box. You'll want to select "Audio CD" and check the boxes for "Use Sound Check" and "Include CD Text". Then put a CD in the player and select "Burn." Once that's done, take the Mustang out for a spin and crank up the volume.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, if you run into a road block, I'll need to defer to Mary. I created my playlist on my Linux desktop using Rhythmbox and burned it using Brasero. I'm fairly confident I'm the only one in this club who can say that. %^)
If what Paul suggests doesn't work, kindly let me know and I'll try redoing on a PC so that hopefully we can all speak the same language. Kindly let me know who needs another copy and I'll resend. Thanks all. Thanks, Paul.
ReplyDelete