Just an FYI that I heard from Billy Kleinfeld and he put his September CDs in the mail today! He's not on the blog and apologized for his tardiness- so I just wanted to pass along the news.
Once I received Cynthia's CD in the mail I realized that I hadn't yet listened to Bill's. This was remedied during today's commute to and from work.
First impression: I'm not a big fan of Country and Western - or "twang" as I've been known to call it. A noticeable exception was the second track, a breathtaking instrumental featuring guitar legend Albert Lee.
Speaking of guitar legends, I'm a big fan of Richard Thompson, so I appreciated the inclusion of "I Feel So Good."
I had never heard of Rick Harris, but his "Bonus Instrumental" was quite tasty.
Lastly, the electrified version of "Creepy Jackolope Eye" by Steve Earle was - in a word - electrifying. I appreciated the contrast with the acoustic version.
I also am a bit behind the times in commenting on this CD which is chock full of music. I really enjoyed this... being a fan of "twang" and all. It was great to hear local guy Tom Hambridge again and I LOVED both versions of Creepy Jackolope Eye (which is now in my Top 10 list of Best Song Titles Of All Time. Also can't stop listening to THE best Kiss cover I've ever heard from Toad The Wet Sprocket. Not sure if you read the blog or not...but if so, thanks Billy!
So funny story on this one. As a rule, I hate country. There are some notable exceptions and the list seems to be growing, but still I find it not so appealing. My wife loves country, but our musical tastes never overlap, so that is not surprising. All of that aside, I listened to this CD at least a dozen times in the month after I received it and I really enjoyed it.
Also on this list of music I hate is pretty much all of the music of Elvis. On our roadtrip from New Hampshire to Texas we listened to a lot of kids music for my 3 year old. One of her CDs ended and this disc was next in the CD changer so it started - right as we were pulling into Graceland. At that moment my wife was certain that I had died and been replaced by some completely different person.
Once I received Cynthia's CD in the mail I realized that I hadn't yet listened to Bill's. This was remedied during today's commute to and from work.
ReplyDeleteFirst impression: I'm not a big fan of Country and Western - or "twang" as I've been known to call it. A noticeable exception was the second track, a breathtaking instrumental featuring guitar legend Albert Lee.
Speaking of guitar legends, I'm a big fan of Richard Thompson, so I appreciated the inclusion of "I Feel So Good."
I had never heard of Rick Harris, but his "Bonus Instrumental" was quite tasty.
Lastly, the electrified version of "Creepy Jackolope Eye" by Steve Earle was - in a word - electrifying. I appreciated the contrast with the acoustic version.
I also am a bit behind the times in commenting on this CD which is chock full of music. I really enjoyed this... being a fan of "twang" and all. It was great to hear local guy Tom Hambridge again and I LOVED both versions of Creepy Jackolope Eye (which is now in my Top 10 list of Best Song Titles Of All Time. Also can't stop listening to THE best Kiss cover I've ever heard from Toad The Wet Sprocket. Not sure if you read the blog or not...but if so, thanks Billy!
ReplyDeleteSo funny story on this one. As a rule, I hate country. There are some notable exceptions and the list seems to be growing, but still I find it not so appealing. My wife loves country, but our musical tastes never overlap, so that is not surprising. All of that aside, I listened to this CD at least a dozen times in the month after I received it and I really enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteAlso on this list of music I hate is pretty much all of the music of Elvis. On our roadtrip from New Hampshire to Texas we listened to a lot of kids music for my 3 year old. One of her CDs ended and this disc was next in the CD changer so it started - right as we were pulling into Graceland. At that moment my wife was certain that I had died and been replaced by some completely different person.