Pretend this is really from Mike Mena as it really is, only he couldn't log on. He asked me to please post this for him and to let you know The November Eleventilicious Double A-Z Album is on its way. Before month end-even. Thanks!
From Mike:
The Eleventilicious Team has set the bar extremely high. As far as I know, I’m the only person in the group who was a paid talent scout with a record company. In spite of that credential, I was intimidated because of the high caliber of previous discs. Bravo! As I racked my brain for an appropriate theme, ideas were considered only to be discarded. Then, I came upon Music A to Z. It seemed simple and the songs flowed. A few of the acts I signed are represented here.
Adorable. I signed this band. They never broke it big but…
Blur- They were so talented and thought it was their job to torment me.
Caravan Palace- A recent discovery through KCRW.
Devotchka-Great name. Great band.
Everything But the Girl- this was one of their early, heart-wrenching recordings
Field Music-the guy who introduced me to Blur & Jesus Jones introduced them to me.
Gorillaz-Damon Albarn from Blur went on to form Gorillaz. I had the pleasure of working with guest vocalist Bobby Womack too.
The Hollies- Being my brother invited my participation, this one is for him.
The Irish Tenors- Yes, a weepy classic. Nothing bats top-notch song-writing.
Jesus Jones- My wife speaks French, Spanish & English. Yes, she’s an international bright young thing.
Kinks- Gotta love a song that mentions Donald Duck.
Lana Del Rey- Love the harp. Great lyrics too.
My Morning Jacket- I just say yes to the title of this song. “You Wanna Freak Out.”
Neil Young- It makes me think of a harvest and not the album.
Ozomatli- These guys are heroes in Los Angeles. Their live shows are a party.
Portishead- They got their groove on.
Question Mark & the Mysterians- Because I couldn’t bring myself to using Queen.
Radiohead- this song “High & Dry” is so gut-wrenching in a good way.
Shelby Lynne- “I Only Want To Be With You,” has been covered so many times, but not like this.
Tokyo Police Club- Great lyrics and great pop.
U2- My brother I share some terrific U2 memories
The Verve-Amazing opening chords.
Wilco-Terrific primitive pop.
Aside from Katy Perry, there are not many songs about the 4th of July. I worked with John Doe as well!
Yma Sumac- Couldn’t bring myself to using Yes and this loungey sound is cool.
Zuco 103- Brazil with a modern beat.
Thanks for listening!
Mike Mena
Mike - I'm thrilled that you were able to participate in this CD Club, since your musical upbringing and mine were so similar. It's also been great to see how are paths have diverged, you having an enviable career in the music business and me being an Indie-damaged computer geek.
ReplyDeleteThe 2-CD set covering performers from A to Z was an inspired choice. Many of the songs were familiar, but others not. It's hard to believe that I know Blur so well but have never heard Gorillaz, for example. And thank you for the Hollies dedication. May I never be too heavy...
Mike:
ReplyDeleteHaving known your musical taste for several years now and being your fortunate "chosen one," I am never bored listening to some of the new finds you manage to like and share with me. Your concept was equally inspired as it was "delicious."
I am inspired to make an even greater musical contribution having liked so much of the new music (new to me) introduced by this club. I hope it will have me back as I have enjoyed listening to your track selections as well as the 10 others. I must admit that the liner notes have been just as fascinating to follow.
Paul and Mary: Thank you for including us this year. It has been a lot of fun sharing, exchanging, and discovering new music. Is next year going to be called, "Twelveilicious." as in 2012? :)
Among the songs I had never heard before, my favorites were "You Wanna Freak Out" by My Morning Jacket, which seemed much tighter and more intense than I would have expected, and "Heavy Metal Drummer" by Wilco, which channeled Pavement in ways I didn't think possible for any band not named Pavement. An honorable mention goes to "Glory Box" by Portishead. I have the song on CD, but it's been awhile since I've heard it. The last 30 seconds sent a chill down my spine - just as it did when I first heard it 17 years ago.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mike for a great compilation! I found some old favorites I'd not heard in a while and some stuff totally new to me. What a fun year it has been...thank you all so much for contributing! I know we have Dan's CD yet to come for December but I guess it is about time for each of you to think about whether you want to continue with the club in 2012 and to let us know. We will definitely be doing it again. But I will defer to Paul as to whether we need a new name for the new year!
ReplyDelete