By now many of you should have received your copy of the January Eleventilicious CD, “Everything’s Cool.” Here’s the set list — along with the liner notes for easy reference. Enjoy!
1) Cool (Pylon) : Pylon was a great band from the same Athens, GA scene that brought us REM. “Cool” is their first single and is fairly typical — propulsive bass and drums, quirky guitar and rudimentary lyrics that are growled and shouted instead of sung.
2) My Son Cool (Guided By Voices) : Robert Pollard wrote “My Son Cool” about his son Bryan for the album “Alien Lanes.” I have no idea what the lyrics mean, but it’s one of my favorite songs.
3) Fade Sister Cool (Lida Husik) : Lida Husik’s music has taken a turn toward electronica lately, but “Fade Sister Cool” is a shimmering gem of jangle pop that hooked me instantly.
4) Ice Cold Ice (Hüsker Dü) : “Ice Cold Ice” is from Hüsker Dü’s final studio album, which captured a band that was maturing and falling apart at the same time.
5) 14 Cheerleader Coldfront(Guided By Voices) : “14 Cheerleader Coldfront” is a Tobin Sprout original about being a teenaged outsider. I’m proud to have another Tobin Sprout original hanging up in my living room.
6) Cold Son (Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks) : While I still prefer Stephen Malkmus’ work with Pavement over his solo work, he and the Jicks sound like they’re having an awful lot of fun at the end of “Cold Son.”
7) Leaves Me Cold (Lush) : Lush featured the loud, layered guitars and hushed vocals typical of shoegaze, but were always more melodic than experimental. “Leaves Me Cold” is from their first EP.
8) Cold Light of Day (Mark Eitzel) : The torment of being Mark Eitzel has always been a bonanza for listeners. “Cold Light of Day” is one of several songs that feature Kid Congo Power’s understated, otherworldly guitar work.
9) Cold Turkey (The Soft Boys) : The Soft Boys cover John Lennon’s “Cold Turkey” as more of an anthem than a lament, which might be why I prefer it over the original.
10) Angel in the Snow (Elliott Smith) : “Angel in the Snow” isn’t a sad song, but it makes me sad to know that Elliott Smith isn’t around to write more songs that are equally beautiful.
11) Snow White (Snowpony) : Snowpony was billed as a “supergroup,” but never quite made an impact. “Snow White” features indifferent vocals over an explosive beat — an oddly effective combination.
12) Snowsuit Bound (Sloan) : Sloan had the misfortune of peaking at a time when the world hungered for grunge instead of their Beatles-meets-Sonic Youth melodic pop. “Snowsuit Sound” is a winter wonderland.
13) Freeze (Shatter Mix) (Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians) : “Freeze” is a tense, nonsensical song featuring REM’s Peter Buck on guitar and Robyn Hitchcock on seemingly random visuals.
14) The Frisko Freeze (The Mummies) : Q: What is better than a four men wearing ace bandages and playing primitive garage rock like it really mattered? A: Nothing. Exhibit A: The Mummies’ “Frisko Freeze.”
15) Freezer Burn (Wow & Flutter) : Wow and Flutter sound like a lot of other bands I like, but mostly sound a lot like themselves. “Freezer Burn” is from their third album “Pounding the Pavement.”
16) Frozen Dub (Augustus Pablo) : “Frozen Dub” is the oldest track on this mix, recorded during the heyday of Jamaican dub. Augustus Pablo’s melodica and King Tubby’s production will make you forget the snow.
17) Frozen Mile (Eleventh Dream Day) : That Eleventh Dream Day isn’t a household name is one of music’s great injustices. The slide guitar work on “Frozen Mile” could thaw an Arctic glacier.
18) Summer Babe (Winter Version) (Pavement) : Did I mention Pavement? “Summer Babe (Winter Version)” put them on the map with its whimsical lyrics and tortured vocals.
19) Winter on Ice (The Spinanes) : The Spinanes wrote warm, moody songs of longing that featured Rebecca Gates’ smooth voice and jagged guitar work. Case in point: “Winter on Ice,” from the album “Strand.”
20) My Country is Winter (Exhaust) : Exhaust are an experimental band from Montreal who don’t sound like anyone else. “My Country is Winter” is tense and ominous, like an imminent blizzard.
21) Winter Sketch (The Durutti Column) : I discovered The Durutti Column only recently, and marveled how Vini Reilly’s crisp guitar work could have possibly originated in 1980 Manchester. I believe the soft and evocative “Sketch for Winter” to be the perfect conclusion for this collection.
Please feel free to comment on the blog or to email me with any questions or comments.
Crunches of snow scattering beneath my tires as the dashboard struggled to glow "-5" seemed the appropriate moment to slip "Everything's Cool" into the frozen CD player. On first listen I gravitated to Snowpony as the gem I would take away from this collection and have enjoyed discovering the rest of their tracks this weekend. We'll see what other gems find their way into my subconscious during commutes to Boston this week.
ReplyDeleteAside from the Sneaker Pimps, Snowpony is the only Trip-Hop I have in my collection, and is certainly the more interesting of the two. I don't think they've been active since 2003, which would be a terrible shame. I know that Debbie Googe rejoined My Bloody Valentine in 2007, but I don't know what that means for the future of either band.
ReplyDeleteReceived Cd in the mail today! Looking forward to having it live in my car for awhile.
ReplyDeleteYou'll be happy to know that Canada is represented - although regrettably not Alberta...
ReplyDeleteI've given it a once through, and my first impression is that I love it!
ReplyDeleteHowever, it may take awhile before I'm allowed to listen to the whole CD again. My two (and a half) year old twin girls have chosen Steve Malkmus' Cold Son as their new favourite song, and now I've pretty well been listening to it on repeat.
In fact, it took them an hour to fall asleep tonight because they kept singing, "High igh igh igh" in their beds.
Stephen Malkmus needs to learn how to write lullabies. :^) I put together a mix CD for my eldest daughter (27) and my granddaughters (4, 2 1/2 and 8 months), and the song they can't stop playing is "Lump" by The Presidents of the United States. Is this lump out of my head? I don't think so...
ReplyDeleteHaha, funny.
ReplyDeleteI think Malkmus should consider writing a children's album.
I definitely have the musical taste of a 2 1/2 year old because I like the Malkmus song the best too! ;-)
ReplyDeleteGreat, inspirational collection of songs that have definitely turned me on to some new bands.
ReplyDeleteNice that you kicked it off with Pylon, since I believe you know one of my favorite shows of all time was the killer triple bill of Mission of Burma, Pylon, and Gang of Four at The Channel in Boston, in the early 80s.
Husker Du is another old-time fave of mine who I saw several times. I LOVE the song by the Mummies, it's making me go on a search for more garage bands. Eleventh Dream Day sounds like Sonic Youth playing Delta blues while on a moonshine binge, very cool.
All in all everything's cool indeed!!
Brett - I saw a then-unknown R.E.M. open up for Gang of Four at the Ritz in NYC circa 1980, and both Pylon and Mission of Burma around the same time, but never on the same bill! Sounds like quite a show.
ReplyDeleteThe Mummies have only one proper CD, 1992's "Never Been Caught." It's so lo-fi it makes GBV seem like seasoned session musicians.
Other garage bands I like: Thee Headcoats from the UK and Bare Wires from LA, but neither dress in ace bandages (as far as I know).
Thanks for the great CD....14 of the 20 artists were new bands to me! That is fantastic.
ReplyDeleteHighlights from my perspective were:
Cold Turkey
Angel in the Snow
Freeze
The Frisko Freeze
Summer Babe
Looking forward to Mary's!
Thanks,
Dan P.
Dan - Thanks for the comment! Mary's CD will be very, very different, but cool in its own right. It's coming soon to a mailbox near you...
ReplyDelete