Monday, March 14, 2011




After a long and circuitous route, the March CD is in the mail! I started with the intellectually satisfying and millennium-spanning theme of "Recorded History" covering such topics as Mesopotamia, Samson, Anastasia, President Garfield and the Wabash Cannonball. But it turns out that most of my historical songs are miserable tales of war, suffering, assasination or all of the above. It really doesn't make for a fun Spring record, much less a musical introduction to me. Besides, it just wasn't gelling as a collection, so I scrapped the idea like a bad term paper; hours of my life crumpled in the garbage can next to my desk. If someone else decides to tackle a historical theme, I am more interested than ever.


I ran the opposite way, the March CD is called "Two Minute Drill." While I am tempted to say this is a call to better clock management for the NFL CBA negotiators to improve on their miserable March performance, it is actually more about power tools. That's right, two minute bursts of violent rotational force ripping through wood, concrete, dental fillings and your ear drums if you play it loud enough. It is a heavy dose of punk and modern, but with a number of fun surprises and a few breathers mixed in. The best part about this theme is that I fit 46 tracks on the CD! My musical tastes are best described as random, even if they are largely alphabetical by artist. So if you come across a track you don't like, don't worry, it will be over in two minutes or less. Oh and just a warning, sometimes artists swear when they sing really fast.

11 comments:

  1. Bill - sounds like an adrenaline rush for the ears! Can't wait to experience it - I'll just make sure to cut down on my caffeine that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 46 songs!! That has to be some kind of record! And I mean that in both senses of the word. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got it today, listening to it now!

    Some old faves among the bands and plenty of new ones to check out. Cool concept Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bunch of songs...thanks! Seeing Me First perform "Favorite Things" is up there in my top five live show moments of 2010. Thanks for bringing back that memory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill - so far I've had one complete listen to the CD. Like Brett, I found a number of familiar names, but also quite a few unexpected surprises. Both Mary and I were impressed by Ryan Montbleau - enough to start hunting for tour info in the Boston area. The Blow are also quirky and unique - in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. According to his web site, Ryan Montbleau will be on a mini-tour of the U.S. Virgin Islands next month. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you must go, the Carribean calls to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill - two weeks ago today we got back from a wonderful week in Bequia, an island in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. So yes - the Caribbean is calling to us...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This mix is surprisingly listenable. I was expecting super-high adrenaline and an ADHD-like listening experience, but it is actually paced nicely. Liked a lot of songs. For some reason that I can't quite pinpoint, I really enjoy hearing "Yakety Yak" each time even though it had already permeated my consciousness like most pop oldies. Thanks! (sorry so late)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you liked it Cinnacism. I have listened to it many times this month only to conclude I should have ordered the songs a bit differntly (and dropped Simon & Garfunkle for they fit not). So it's great to hear that you like it as is. I suppose any CD that leads off with Chewbacca on backing vocals cannot be taken too seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for the late comment it's just that life got in the way for the past few weeks! I liked the CD very much....when I saw the title I thought for sure I'd see a tune from the Minutemen but I did not. I like the diversity of the collection....anyone who has the musical cujones to put Simon & Garfunkel together with The Dead Milkmen is OK in my book! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete