Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April - Queen of Languages


Hey Guys,
Our mix CD, Queen of Languages, is finally done and about to be shipped out. We sure had trouble with this one. We hadn't planned on making a themed mix until we got three nicely themed mixes in the mail and the pressure started to mount.

The title of the mix refers to the fact that part, all, some, a few, many, one, a couple or none of the lyrics to the songs happen to be in a language other than English - the language of America. There is one exception to the rule. The title track is in plain old Canadian English.

We hope you like it!

9 comments:

  1. (Sweet) Will(iam) and Kath,

    We're anxious to hear your mix! Nobody should feel pressured into coming up with a theme unless the proverbial Spirit moves them. Mary had a food tape (remember cassettes?) long ago, and took additional inspiration from a recent vinyl digitizing exercise. As for me, working with a theme keeps me from using music that sounds too similar, and often helps me to unearth some gems I haven't listened to in a long time. In other words, please keep it fun (as I know you did)!

    Paul & Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing it!

    Don't worry, I'm not doing a theme in May, not musically anyway, but more to come on that. More of a concept (he said mysteriously).

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got mine today, quite an eclectic mix!

    Love the cardboard CD case with the pasted on art work and track list, very craft-y.

    No liner notes though? That's my second favorite part of getting these CDs after listening to them!

    Maybe you could give us some background on your choices on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I introduced my 3 year old to Louis Armstrong tonight. Thank you for that! I am enjoying the collection immensely and appreciate that unlike mine, this one is all ages (at least as far as my American ears can tell).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a chance to listen to the first few tracks on my commute into work this morning. A stand-out for me so far has been the track by The Swirlies. Now I can't wait for the work day to end so that I can listen to some more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey all,
    If you haven't figured it out already the track list on the back is one digit off. The short noisy french opener went unlisted. Louis is track 2 and so on. Sorry for the mix up. I'll write up some liner notes here after a few beers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got a chance to spin the disc for the first time yesterday and....again....this group keeps coming up with interesting songs and artists I've not heard before, and I like that. But it's making me think I'm musically BORING. I'll have to give it another round soon 'cuz I was was in and out of the house grilling while it was playing. Opening with Louis Armstrong was cool. I guess I could sum it up by saying muy bien! (I know, predictable comment)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this mix! It sounds like Spring to me. I think my favorite is Os Mutantes' "A Minha Menina"...And not just because the title is almost-but-not-quite an anagram of my name. Such a treat to hear new (to my ears) stuff that I like so much. And, of course, how can you top Mark Sandman doing his Spanish yodel? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been two months and "Laisse Tomber Les Files" is still IN MY HEAD every day. I thought it would be a quick fascination a la the 5-6-7-8's, but alas, it remians. In fact, my Rhapsody account is now being put to good use adding several April March tunes to my MP3 player. So thanks for such a good intro to a cool artist!

    ReplyDelete