Monday, January 30, 2012

A Love Story in Four Acts

And we're off! The January CDs go in the mail first thing in the morning.

As I searched for a theme this year, I started by gathering the songs I most like and want to share. Turning that list of 72 songs over and over a couple themes start to emerge, not surprisingly the most prevalent theme is love (or lack thereof). Also not surprising in my collection, all of those songs are from the female voice. Despite that common threading, this method of assembly allows for some fantastically random song transitions. I am particularly proud of Rosemary Clooney dancing straight into Poe's Not a Virgin and Martha Davis's enchanting Trust Me crashing onto the rocks of Hesta Prynn's Can We Go Wrong. Since I am a procrastinator, most of you will receive this epic in early February, which I can claim was on purpose to capture some of that Valentine's Day spirit. I proudly present 20 glorious songs of A Love Story in four Acts.

Act I: The Dance
Wishful Thinking - The Ditty Bops. I discovered the Ditty Bops at Harbor Lights on the waterfront in Boston opening for Tori Amos. A fun start to any show including this one.

I Think I love You - Donora. The morning DJ at WYEP in Pittsburg is a close friend of mine and the source of any cool music in my collection including Pittsburg local gem Donora. If you like hula-hoops, check out the you tube video for this song.

What Do I Have to Do - The Donnas. I went to Ozzfest just to see The Donnas and I was glad I did. So much energy, so much anger and so much get over it! This is that i-want-to-get-closer-to-you-but-i-don't-want-to-let-my-guard-down-until-you-do part of the dance.

Bring Me Edelweiss - Edelweiss. Not exactly Rodgers and Hammerstein, but a fun one hit wonder about courtship. Was there really any other type of popular music in the 80's?

Reel Me In - Kim Richey. I met Kim in the Hampton Ballroom. She was opening for the Indigo Girls, but I went to see her as she was a friend of a friend. This song completely enraptured me that night and continues to. The louder the better, but a word of caution: unlike the rap songs that claim to have the deepest base, this one will actually test the low end of your stereo system.

I Could Have Danced All Night - Rosemary Clooney. With all due respect to Julie Andrews, this is my favorite version of this oft covered song from My Fair Lady.

Act II: Falling through Lust into Love
Not a Virgin - Poe. I think she said it all.

Stockings - Suzanne Vega. One of the greatest visuals ever comes form this song: "Do you know where friendship ends and passion does begin? It's between the binding of her stocking and her skin." You can imagine the entire story just from those two lines. The song tells of one of the Nine Objects of Desire, sonically one of the best albums ever made.

How Naked - The Blow. I am violating a rule somewhere by including a band that appeared on last year's submission, but this song perfectly captures the pivotal point of this act. Plus, it's The Blow.

In The Night - Jen Taranto. I stumbled upon Jen playing on the street in Downtown Crossing one day. She rolled her eyes when I asked her if she took requests. I asked for track 3. "Off of your CD" I explained, which instantly turned her into the happiest person I had ever seen. It must have been the first time someone requested one of her own songs. Track 3 is called "In The Night"

Shhh - Donora. Now I am violating another rule by including two tracks by the same band, but I really want you to get to know Donora. This song is that time when the rest of the world fades into the background all that matters is the one you love.

Will I - Rachel McCartney. This is the song I most wanted to share. Close your eyes and let Rachel take you deep into your own self. Will you listen?

Trust Me - The Motels. In that last moment of doubt, the one you love covers that last fear and reassures with an enchanting "Trust Me" The falling into love is complete.

Act III: The Dark Times
Can We Go Wrong? - Hesta Prynn. The doubts come back, can something right go wrong? Hesta became famous as part of the rap trio Northern State. I saw them open for Tegan and Sara at Berkley College of Music and was immediately a huge fan. This one is also a really cool video if you get the chance to Youtube it. Her cover of Pepper is worth a listen too.

Cool on Your Island - Y Kant Tori Read. The goddess, before she was. A rare 7" single of this song adorns a corner of my home office. At this point the relationship is definitely going wrong.

Wrap My Head Around That - Lucinda Williams. Now she is imploding, turning further into herself, into her pain and confusion trying to figure out where it all went wrong.

Brake of Your Car - Lennon. Wait? Why did you leave? Now I'm angry! Named after John Lennon (she spent most of 2008 defending a copy write lawsuit from Yoko), Lennon's first album was released on September 11, 2001. The world was a little distracted that day, so no one really noticed this one. Plus she hated the album and refused to promote it. But I like it anyway.

Act IV: Happily Ever After
I Know I Know I Know - Tegan and Sara. Let's skip all of the sappy make-up and I'll-change-I-promise songs and get to the good part - peaceful happy love, reassuring gestures and friendship.

On the Radio - Regina Spektor. Russian piano player who now hails from Brooklyn. She is definitely on the list of acts I would like to see live. I love those moments that you get to relive memories from the early days of the relationship - moments connected by music of course!

Rascal - Don White. Another WERS find. This whole Live in Michigan album is fantastic, particularly if you have been married for a while, have kids or both. As a young adult, this song represents everything you never want to become, but as you get older you find a lot of attractive elements in these lyrics.

The disc was supposed to end with a Loretta Lynn song, but I ran out of room by 35 seconds:
This Old House - Loretta Lynn. Produced by Loretta fanboy Jack White who also sings backing vocals. This last song is about love that endures and is remembered long after the lovers.

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear this CD! We once saw Rachel McCartney busking in the Harvard Square T station. Here is a photo Mary took back in June 2003 to document the occasion: http://www.extraspecialbitter.com/images/ignored.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gave a couple quick listens. Love the progressive theme, takes me back to those great concept albums of the 70's. Also always wanted to hear some Tori from Y Kant, so loved hearing that one. I have to listen some more and may have further comments.
    I've had some problems with track 2 and 3 skipping, seems to be different on different players, so haven't given up on finding a player they work on. Took me awhile to realize that the distorted jumps I was hearing weren't intentional.... I like that kind of weird stuff anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've given the CD 2 complete listens so far. Being a dog lover, (and being only slightly smarter than mud) my absolute favorite is "Rascal." Tracks by Lennon and the Donnas satisfied my "must-rock" criteria, and the Lucinda Williams song is definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Rascal might go over well in the Mena home.

      Delete
  4. LOL Bill....Rascal did go over quite well! It immediately got added to my doggy playlist. Great CD...I "loved" the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An inspired collection, Bill. I have loved Don White since hearing him on the WERS folk show years ago. Live at the Somerville Theatre is a great album from him.

    Lots of interesting new artists for me to check out too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul,

    Thank you for putting February CD together.

    I'm glad that by gaining an extra day today, I was able to finally listen to your "The Club is Open" CD during the month of February!

    The mix is fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed getting introduced to some new tracks including:

    Deer Tick's "Dirty Dishes"
    Rockpile's "They Call It Rock" and
    Luna "Sideshow by the Seashore"

    Like the collection, you rock!

    Thank you.

    Ileana

    ReplyDelete