(Hi All~ I'm posting here on behalf of Mike Mena, my bro-in-law.)
Hello Eleventilicious friends,
The March CD has been shipped.
Things have been crazy! I was drawing a creative blank for the theme of
this CD when I came across a note from my brother Paul who, knowing I’m a
basketball fan, asked me if I was into MARCH MADNESS. And there was my theme.
I could say that the liner notes are here and not in your package
because I meant to be “green,” but that would be politician honest
and not my style. Most of the songs here are quite commercial but could be the
anecdote to ride out March.
Cheers!
Weezer have always sounded a bit undone but never more so than with the
song: “Undone.”
The Vapors only had one hit but “Turning Japanses,” was
decadent 80’s fun.
The Manic Street Preachers provides an anglophile fix with the song
“Tsunami.”
Napoleon IVX provide the novelty play with: “They’re Coming
to Take Me Away.”
Brett Dennen kind of fits in that awkward kind of folk-pop nuttiness
with “There Is So Much More.”
Rage Against the Machine get angry with insanity and provide a sonic
assault with: “Renegades of Funk.”
The Streets Anglo Rap has always appealed to me. He’s kind of
pissed off too with the song: “Prangin’ Out.”
Where would a March Madness CD be without Madness performing the song:
“Madness”?
Tears for Fears reminds us that it’s a “Mad World.”
When everything goes to hell, “Let’s Go Crazy.” Yes
Prince is.
Cypress Hill are indeed: ‘Insane in the Brain.”
When insanity creeps in, the Ramones: “Wanna Be Sedated.”
Weather does inspire insanity and the Jam do a number on the Martha
& the Vandellas classic: “Heat Wave.”
If once is crazy, what is three times? Michael Franti sings:
“Crazy, Crazy, Crazy.”
“Crazy,” can be a somber slow brew as well. Patsy Cline
sings her heart out!
Seal sings: “In a world full of people, only some wanna fly. Is
that not “Crazy”?
Green Day reminds us that if you go “too” crazy, you become
a: “Basket Case.”
All this nuttiness creates a: “Ball of Confusion,” as the
Temptations display.
Steely Dan illustrate going insane in articulate fashion with:
“Bad Sneakers.”
Have fun! Go nuts!
Mike
A great combination of the new and the familiar! Here is a great cover of Tears for Fear's "Mad World" as featured in the movie "Donnie Darko." Also, my favorite "Crazy" song is this one by the great Athens band Pylon. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteLove this disc! Some old favorites and some insane songs I've never heard. I always had half a madness mix in mind, now I have a whole madness.
ReplyDeleteGreat theme, nice collection - definitely some classics as well as some new songs to enjoy. Well done.
ReplyDelete