Greetings, fellow music freaks!
Don't you just love hearing one of your favorite bands cover a song - from another one of your favorite bands? Or just do a kick-ass cover version of a song from a band or genre that is completely different from their usual style? Punks playing reggae or country or getting funky, a reggae band playing pop, hip-hop dudes rapping over hard rock, acoustic rockers rapping - you get the idea. And I'm sure you have your favorites. I certainly do.
And you're about to experience nineteen of mine, because my May offering, entitled "Cover Charge" - will be going out in tomorrow's mail. And just to keep a bit of mystery and build some anticipation, I'm not going to list them here. You'll have to wait until you receive the actual CD. Delayed gratification in the Internet age? Yes!
But feel free to speculate here about some of the possibilities, either from what you know about my musical tastes, or your own favorites!
Fun, fun CD. Loved the concept, music, and liner notes. Sure made a long and tedious drive an enjoyable event today. Thank you, Brett!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome, Ileana!
ReplyDeleteGlad it made your drive time more fun - a pile of CDs is one of my secret weapons for long rides as well!
Brett - I finally had a chance to hear to your CD while driving to Julio's Liquors (for "supplies") in Westborough. It was just enough time to give the entire CD a thorough listen. My hands-down favorite: "The Ghost of Tom Joad" by Rage Against the Machine. I don't care for Bruce Springsteen - and therefore have never heard the original - but I don't see how it could hold a candle to Rage's cover. It left me breathless. Also love Big Star's cover of "Femme Fatale," although I personally prefer REM's (from "Dead Letter Office", which is where I assume you picked up "Toys from the Attic"). All in all, a very enjoyable ride. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteHere's one of my favorite cover songs, from the all-star cover band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, covering the Beach Boys' Sloop John B
ReplyDeleteBrett, listened to it again. Quite a few times, actually. I think this will stay in the car for sometime to come as it's a great mixture of a variety of artists and yet it seems so cohesive at the same time. Love the tempo, the spirit, and the attitude throughout. Anything or anyone who makes driving on LA freeways a fun event is way more than okay in my book! Again, thank you.
ReplyDelete@Paul - glad to hear another car ride has been brightened by "Cover Charge". Though I'm sure your booty from Julio's brightened the rest of your day even more! Yeah, Rage IMO blows doors off the Springsteen original.
ReplyDeleteHa - love that Sloop John B intro that cops Teenage Lobotomy from the Ramones!
@Ileana: I'm flattered. I did actually try to do a true mix and segue between songs, changing tempos and moods to give it some sort of flow. Anyone driving the LA freeways deserves all the help they can get!
Hey, long lost Randy here. I've been out of circulation for a bit due to cascading events, but I'm back and preparing for the June release of my disk. One thing is though. I can't figure out if I got the April disk and i know i didn't get the May disk. Is my mailman just enjoying them or what?
ReplyDeleteHi Randy. I sent you an email and CC'ed Brett, just in case something went wrong. The April CD hasn't gone out yet, but May was shipped about two weeks ago. Akron isn't that far away...
ReplyDelete