Tuesday, November 27, 2012

November: unHAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

This little compilation celebrates the fact that not everyone’s holiday season will be filled with Norman Rockwell scenes and pristine snow-scapes.  Enjoy the romp through holiday depravity including over-consumption of food and drink, out of control consumerism and fractured relationships. 

**Note that track #20 is NOT family or work friendly due to the “F” in WTFAMP.**

1.       Christmas In A Chinese Restaurant- Diamond Rugs-  When I heard this song early in 2012, it immediately inspired me to make this compilation.  Diamond Rugs is another genius collaboration from John McCauley of Deer Tick that also includes Robbie Crowell of Deer Tick, Ian Saint Pé  of the Black Lips, Steve Berlin from Los Lobos, Hardy Morris from Dead Confederate and Bryan Dufresne from Six Finger Satellite.  The Diamond Rugs album was definitely in my top 10 releases in 2012.

2.       Sonny Boy’s Christmas Blues- Sonny Boy Williamson II-  Recorded in the early 1950’s.  My favorite blues musician of all time.

3.       Your Christmas Whiskey- The Minus 5-  Young Fresh Fellows’ Scott McCaughey and R.E.M’s Peter Buck head up The Minus 5, which is my second collaborative group on this compilation.  This is from a 2007 Christmas sampler from Yep Roc records called “Oh Santa! New & Used Christmas Classics”.   Paul and I are looking forward to a vacation in Mexico this winter that will include a music festival featuring many Yep Roc artists, including The Minus 5.

4.       Lonely Christmas Eve- Ben Folds Five-  This song is from the 2000 film How The Grinch Stole Christmas. 

5.       We’re Following The Wrong Star-  Billy Bragg-  A fantastic song from musician and activist Billy Bragg.  He offers this song as a free download at his website www.billybragg.co.uk.

6.       Father Christmas- The Kinks-  A song we’ve all heard before, but it fits perfectly on this compilation.   

7.       Blue Christmas- Robert Gordon-  I ripped this song from my ultra-cool, white vinyl “Rock Billy Boogie” album I bought in 1979.  Several years ago Robert did a show in our area and I had him autograph the album cover!

8.       Indian Giver- Squirrel Nut Zippers-  From their “Christmas Caravan” album.  I highly recommend it for some well-produced, out of the ordinary holiday music.

9.       Christmas Cookies- anote4you-  I don’t know much about this Christmas novelty album called “Holiday Heckles”…but I like it enough that 3 songs from it ended up here!

10.   Sexy Christmas Baby Mine (Live)- Morphine-  This beautiful yet creepy song was originally the B-side to “Cure For Pain” on a 1000 piece pressing of a 7” vinyl record in 1993.  Now available on the “The Best of Morphine 1992 – 1995” CD. 

11.   Beatnik’s Wish- Patsy Raye & The Beatniks-  From the CD box set “The Beat Generation” from Rhino Records.  “Let’s go Daddy-o!”

12.   Lil’ Drummer Boy- The Bomboras-  An all instrumental surf punk band from L. A. who sadly broke up in 2000.  Paul and I had the pleasure of seeing them live at The Middle East in Cambridge where their disregard for Cambridge open flame laws was just a small part of an extraordinary evening.

13.   (I Want a) Rock and Roll Guitar- Johnny Preston-  Johnny Preston is best known for his #1 hit “Running Bear” from 1960.  This song is a little light-hearted to be on this compilation but there is something quirky and infectious about it that I find appealing.

14.   Christmas Is Here- anote4you- Another short little carol from the “Holiday Heckles” album. 

15.   Santa Claus-  Sonny Boy Williamson II-  The only  thing better than a Christmas compilation with a Sonny Boy Williamson II song on it is one that has two!  Poor Sonny Boy needs to stay out of his baby’s dresser drawer!

16.   Santa Bring My Baby Back- The Reverend Horton Heat-  From the Rev’s 2005 “We Three Kings, Christmas Favorites CD.

17.   Back Door Santa- B. B. King-  This Santa is makin’ the women happy while the men are out at play.

18.   Mistletoe Kiss-off- anote4you-  A bluesy break up song and the last of my offerings from the “Holiday Heckles” album. 

19.   Super Rock Santa- The Fleshtones-  A garage band from NYC who debuted at CBGBs in 1976 and are still making great music together….despite never quite making it in the music business.

20.   (WTFAMP) the Christmas Song- Letters To Cleo-  Popular in Boston and beyond in the ‘90s, Letter To Cleo broke up in 2000 but briefly got back together again in 2007 and 2008.  This song is from their 2008 release of B-sides and unreleased material called “When Did We Do That?”

21.   Santa’s Beard- They Might Be Giants-  Reminding us to beware of friends wearing red suits.

PS-  The shabby, paint-peeling, missing-handed Santa on the cover is a photo I took in Christmas, Michigan (located next to the town where I grew up).  Santa is 50 feet high and is standing along the highway, right in between the casino and the trailer park.

               UNHAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!   MMM

5 comments:

  1. OMG! Great liner notes. It wouldn't play on my computer so I'll try the car CD player in the morning. I'm excited to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think - no, I know - that members of this club produce better collections and liner notes than the pros!

    This is now officially my favorite Christmas song collection. I had an old blues one on cassette called "Blue Yule" that comes close but you edge it out, Mary. An intro to the Rev. Horton Heat was perfect timing as he is the opener at the X show I'm going to this weekend.

    And well, Sonny Boy is my number one influence as a blues harp player, and I cover some of his songs when I play live, so two of his tunes was a nice bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brett & Ileana! As I mentioned, as soon as I heard the Diamond Rugs song earlier this year, I knew I had found my November theme inspiration. These are so much fun to put together....I really appreciate everyone's efforts this year....some great stuff has arrived in our mail box! I'm hoping no one else had trouble getting my CD to play??

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally listened to the CD. It worked in my car CD player. Great selection! Some of the songs are hysterical. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it shared it with Eric on the drives to and from school. It'll remain in the car through the holidays! Mistletoe Kiss Off, Lonely Christmas Eve, and Beatnik's Wish are among my favorites. Fun theme, fun tracks, and an all around great mix of songs, Mary. Well done!

    ReplyDelete