I've wrapped up the liner notes for my January CD, so now it's just a matter of printing out the artwork, burning the CDs and getting them in the mail, which I hope to do early next week. In the mean time, here's a teaser:
If, as the IFC show “Portlandia” tells us, “the dream of the nineties is alive in Portland”, it’s also very much alive in my CD collection. There’s a good reason for this: in the nineties, I was newly single at age 33, and within a year had moved to Minnesota, where I hardly knew a soul. It was there that I immersed myself in an active music scene and a vibrant, independent radio station. I heard many of the songs in this collection during the two years I lived there, and have a personal connection to many of them to this day.
I left Minnesota for Massachusetts at the conclusion of a tumultuous relationship. While my dating life was often strange and comical, the music kept me going. By the end of the nineties I was happily married to a fellow music lover, and the band played on...
As is the case with many compilations, I’ve sacrificed some content for the sake of brevity, but also in order to avoid pigeon-holing myself. I love Guided By Voices - and indeed I “discovered” them in the nineties - but I wanted to include some music that might not otherwise be heard. I started out with close to 50 songs but ultimately whittled my playlist down to 21. I hope you all enjoy it enough to put a bird on it!
No comments:
Post a Comment